The Appointed Person is the person who develops the safe system of work for lifting operations and will include Risk Assessments and Method Statements.
Who’s the course for?
This course is aimed at individuals who are required to plan safe systems of work using lifting equipment. It is recommended that prior to attending this course individuals should have some basic experience of working with lifting equipment.
Course Aims and Objectives
The aim of this course is to provide candidates with sufficient underpinning knowledge in order for them to understand the role and responsibility of the Appointed Person. Following successful completion of the course candidates will be able to identify and implement safe systems of work for basic and standard lifting operations including writing risk assessments and method statements.
* Legislation – LOLER, PUWER, HASAWA
* Codes of Practice
* Roles & responsibilities of personnel involved with lifting operations including selection and competencies
* Crane appreciation – crane types, capabilities and limitations
* Duties charts
* Crane terminology
* Documentation and certification for lifting equipment and lifting accessories
* Crane stability / ground conditions
* Safe Load Indicators (SLI) and Safe Working Loads (SWL)
* Types of lifting accessories and safe use
* Slinging techniques
* Down rating of accessories
* Sling angles and the affect on SWL
* Methods of communication
* Planning a lifting operation
* Writing a risk assessment
* Writing a method statement
All operatives need to bring the following:
Passport sized photo
All candidates must have passed a Managerial & Professional Touch Screen Health and Safety Test before attending this course
Duration – 4 days
Face to face study
Methods of Assessment
Practical / Written Test
Successful candidates will be issued with a Red CPCS Trained Operator Card.
Cost – on application